Saturday, December 5, 2015

I'm Boycotting Adele and Here's Why

Adele's New Album 25
I'll admit that I've always been a huge fan Adele, her song Love Song is one of my all time favorites. However, I am completely refusing to buy Adele's new album, 25. Why you may ask (a question my brother asks every day)? Because she pulled a Taylor Swift and refused to release her album on Spotify. Spotify is a popular streaming site where premium users pay a monthly subscription of ten dollars to listen to unlimited music. However, now stars like Taylor Swift and Adele,(and soon Coldplay) are refusing to release their music on such streaming sites.

Taylor Swift claimed, “In my opinion, the value of an album is, and will continue to be, based on the amount of heart and soul an artist has bled into a body of work, and the financial value that artists (and their labels) place on their music when it goes out into the marketplace." But this argument doesn't make any sense. If the value of an album is based on the work but into it, as Taylor claims, why does it have to have to be priced at all? I get that income is important and that an album has to make as much money as it took to make, this is common knowledge, but Taylor Swift and Adele are two of the highest paid artists of the all time. Taylor Swift has an estimated net worth  of $80 million dollars, Adele's estimated net worth is over $54 million dollars. I don't see how Taylor and Adele can site not making enough money justify not putting their songs on Spotify. Isn't $54 plus million dollars suitable? 

Taylor also claimed, "File sharing and streaming have shrunk the numbers of paid album sales drastically, and every artist has handled this blow differently.” It is however true that artists make less money with streaming sites like Spotify, making around 9 cents for ever 60 times one song is played whereas the artist makes 20 cents for every $1.29 song sold on iTunes. However, artists are also paid 9 cents for every 60 times their song is played on the radio. Did Adele and Taylor ban their songs from radio stations? Of course not. Practically every time I turn on the radio, I hear one of their songs. So why just Spotify? Adele's most played song on Spotify has 221,434,620 plays (aka $3,690,577 dollars in Adele's pocket for just one song). Again, I ask, isn't that amount suitable? 

As my brother says, I am missing one of the "greatest albums of the century" but I'm staying strong on this one. It might because I'm stubborn, but I think what Taylor Swift and Adele are doing is pure capitalistic crap. Is making more money a justifiable reason to exclude a large amount of your fans from hearing your work? Life isn't all about money, and if Adele and Taylor saw it this way, their music would be available to anyone who wants to hear it, even religious Spotify users like myself. What do you think? 

4 comments:

  1. I wouldn't go so far as to boycott the music. But, I agree with your argument. If they truly cared about sharing their music with the world, they wouldn't be so against spotify and other streaming sites. Also, this taints their image and makes them look greedy and money oriented. If they truly cared about music over money they wouldn't refused streaming sites their music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is annoying that they won't release their albums on Spotify. This is one of the few apps that people now use to listen to music, if they don't want to reach out to the fan base on Spotify they will lose several listeners in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree that it is frustrating that these artists refuse to release their music to Spotify. If it is about the income, it doesn't really make sense since they are already making so much money. I think it can be a bit of a disadvantage since their music is not available on a popular app like Spotify.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me, it makes sense why Taylor Swift, Adele, and Coldplay refuse to let Spotify use their songs. In the end, money is what really matters. It is what makes the world turn. It is the center of people's lives. When someone could only buy a song on iTunes and then get added checks in the mail when their music was played on the radio, it ultimately made them more money.

    ReplyDelete